by Bishop Jacob Afolabi
All the miracles and display of power by Jesus Christ is wrapped up in HOLINESS. Thus none of it can be contested nor successfully opposed.
Holiness – This is the distinction between the spiritually Clean and Un-clean. Most of the Biblical Laws begin with “Thou shall not…”Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth (Exodus 20:4).
But the Law concerning holiness says “Be ye…”Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. (1 Peter 1:16). This command was at first addressed to the Israelites, but it is with equal emphasis addressed to the Christians, who also profess to be the people of God, and that like His people they ought to be like their God.
The Law on Sin takes a negative shape.
The Law on Holiness takes a positive shape.
It is a great truth that men everywhere should imitate the God whom they worship. The will form their character in accordance with His character. They will attempt to rise no higher in virtue than the God whom they adore, and they will practice freely only what He approves.
Therefore, the pursuit of power must be predicated on the pursuit of holiness. The nature and the character of God Almighty, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is Holy. All the expressions of Divine power in Jesus reveal His holiness more that any raw power. Even the powers invested in His servants, also reveal the holiness of their anointing to perform tremendous acts of power.
Here now are some of the expressions of Holiness in the display of the power of God.
- 2Timothy 3:8….”Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith.” When the magicians of Pharaoh imitated Moses by turning their sticks into serpents, and the serpent of Moses went on to devour the magicians serpents, that was greater than an act of power, it was Holiness!
- Mark 4: 39….”Then he arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “peace be still” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.” Both the wind and the sea are dumb creations, but they obeyed their Master. This is greater than an act of power, it is Holiness!
- Job 9:8…. “He alone spreads out the heavens, And treads on the waves of the sea.” When Jesus walked on water, and His presence was passing by the struggling disciples in their boat, that was greater than a display of power, that was Holiness!
- Mark 6:41….”And when He had taken the five loaves and the two fish, He looked up to heaven, blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to His disciples to set before them; and the two fish He divided among them” When Jesus fed five thousand men with five pieces of bread and two pieces of fish, and there still remained twelve baskets of left-over, that was greater than an act of power, that was Holiness!
- Mark 5:29….’Immediately the fountain of her blood was dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed of the affliction.’ When the woman with the issue of blood discovered that her fountain had dried up after she touched the hem of Jesus’ garment, that was greater than a benevolent display of power, that was Holiness!
- Luke 5:13….”Then He put out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” Immediately the leprosy left him.” When Jesus reached out and touched the leper, healing him instantly, that was greater than an act of power, that was Holiness!
- John 11:43….”Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come forth!” When Jesus raised His voice to call out dead Lazarus from his grave, and the dead man appeared still bound in death clothes, that was not an act of power, that was Holiness!
- John 20:6, 7…. “Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there, and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself.” When Jesus rose from the dead, his burial clothes neatly packed in the tomb, the grave stone gently rolled away and Jesus having a change of new clothes, these were not acts of power, these were acts of Holiness!
If you are truly Christian, cease the pursuit of power. Live in holiness and the power of God will envelope your life.
About the writer
Nigerian-born Bishop Jacob Afolabi is Senior Pastor at the Christ Chapel Bible Church in Ottawa. he is the recipient of many community awards, including the 2017 Black History Ottawa Community Builder award, for his many years of community work. He is the founder of the Ottawa Pastors’ forum and has contributed inspiring articles in community newspapers and commentary on community radio stations, as well training a new generation of pastors. He can be reached at: email@example.com.