Black History Month 2015 Nigerian Panorama Fashion Parade
by John Adeyefa
Name of organization: Nigerian Canadian Association Ottawa.
Mandate, mission and/or objectives of organization: A non-profit organization established about 17 years ago by members of the Nigerian community in the National Capital Region of Canada in bringing together all the various regions under one umbrella in recognition of Nigerians common interest for the progress and the betterment of the members of Nigerian community and the furtherance of the good friendly relations between the peoples of Nigeria and Canada.
Eligibility for membership: Open to all Nigerians and Friends of Nigeria. Membership fee is $25.
Past, Current, Future Programs & Projects:
· Annual Mega Picnic. This is a gathering of all Nigerians Families and Friends to come together sharing and caring with lots of delicious Nigerian snacks, foods, games, activities for both young children and old members of our community like Sack race, Egg and Spoon race, musical chair, Tug-o-War rope pull etc. This year event is scheduled to July 9, 2016.
· Soccer Game Events: We organize Soccer game competitions between Nigerians and other countries as well as between Nigerian Professionals and Students in Summer months.
· Annual Flag raising ceremony: We celebrates annually the raising of Nigerian Flag at the City Hall on Nigerian Independence days, This year is scheduled to October 1, 2016.
· Annual Independence Celebration Dinner: We celebrates annually the Nigerian Independence from colonial rule on October 1 with various entertainment activities, Gala and Dinner. This year celebration is scheduled to October 8, 2016.
· African Multiculturalism Day June 25, 2016: African Multiculturalism Day is a day dedicated to celebrating our diverse cultural heritage, our diversity, equality and mutual respect. This event will reflect an exciting Nigerian and African culture, ethnic and linguistic makeup.
· African Canadian Association Ottawa: Collaboration with African Association Presidents and Leaders coming together to founding African Canadian Association giving one voice to Africans. Launching of this Association is scheduled for June 27, 2016 at the City Hall, Ottawa.
· Senior Citizen Social Forum. This is a new initiative where our senior citizens get to meet regularly to socialize and discuss among each other. This alleviate loneliness and boredom among our senior citizens.
· Chronic Diseases Self Management Program: We are planning to present to our community a six week Chronic Disease Self Management program later in the end of Summer 2016.
· Queensway Carlton Hospital Foundation Fundraising Project: We are partnering with Queensway Carlton Hospital Foundation in raising needed funds towards a better healthcare as a way of positively imprinting our presence on the larger Ottawa-Gatineau giving back to the community where we live and reside, the Ottawa National Capital Region. You can donate on-line at:
- African Multiculturalism Day. June 25, 2016. Vincent Massey Park. 12 noon-6 pm.
- African Canadian Association Ottawa: Launching of this new Association is scheduled for June 27, 2016 at the City Hall, Ottawa.
- Mega Picnic: July 9, 2016. Vincent Massey Park. 1pm.
- 2016 Independence Celebration Dinner: October 8, 2016.
Names of current executive committee: John Adeyefa, President. Christina Ogah, Vice President.
Contact info: Nigerian Canadian Association Ottawa.
Nigerian Canadian Association, Ottawa (NCAO)
P.O. Box 885, Station “B”, Ottawa ON K1P 5P5, Canada